Seeking advice for a replacement for old Logitech Driving Force EX

Discussion in 'General Hardware Discussion' started by everway9, Dec 13, 2017.

1. everway9

everway9 Armchair Racer

Hi everyone.

I'm new here so a big HELLO to you all. :)

I'm looking for some advice for a new wheel for my PC to replace my old Logitech Driving Force EX. The EX has been very good for me ever since it was released with Gran Turismo 2 on the PS2. I never used the pedals. I prefered to use the paddles, left on for braking and the right one for acceleration and buttons on the left/right for gear changing. I liked the adaptor which allowed you to hold the wheel between your thighs. Unfortunately after years of hard graft the potentiometers (i think thats what you call them anyway) have worn out and the force feedback mechanism is not what it used to be. The whole things basically falling to pieces. :(

So now I'm looking to buy a new wheel. I certainly don't need a wheel which costs £200+. I think I may be able to go up to the £120 mark. I just need a wheel which can sit between my thighs like the old EX and with at least 2 paddles which I can use as a throttle and brake pedal. 4 paddles would be nice but not necessary. I also need force feed back. I think most steering wheels these days come with pedals but I need to be able to use the wheel without.

I'm going to be playing things like the latest Forza and F1 games and occasionally the RaceRoom Sim.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you may be able to give.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew :)

2. Jason Glen

Jason Glen Armchair Racer

Hey Andrew

Do the paddles on your wheel have a long travel with a potentiometer? Or short travel with a click?

There are a few wheels out there which look with in your budget but I'm not sure they have the sort of paddles your after

3. everway9

everway9 Armchair Racer

Hi Jason.

Thanks for your post. :)

My old DFEX had long travel potentiometer type paddles. I loved it because I could use it witbout the pedals when I was feeling lazy... which was actually most of the time. :D

I've did some research on the G29 but I couldn't find out what type of paddles it had. So stupidly I risked it and purchased a G29 anyway. Unfortunately it has short travel click ones.

I do really like the G29 but if I can find a different wheel which is as good or better but with long travel paddles I may be tempted to swap.